Skip to main content

The Five Commandments of SEO

One of the biggest things anyone will say to you about SEO is it's always changing and you have to keep up with these changes if you want to do well in the Manchester SEO industry. Now this statement is very true SEO is always changing but in my experience, there are five things that have always stayed consistent and as so have become my own little top five things to do on a website. Now I will start off by saying that this is all in my own opinion and if anyone disagrees with anything on the list I would love to know your opinion on the topic and why you disagree.

Content is King

Content is King - Source: Stocksnap.io

Content is always going to be king no matter how you look at it. The whole point of Google is to provide the user with the answer they are looking for so it only makes sense that you need to have content to answer these questions. When I say content I don't always mean a block of text as this is a subjective thing that changes depending on the situation and the type of site you are working on. 

For example, a site that would need text to rank is a site like a local cleaning company. Filling out a site with relevant on-topic content is, in my opinion, the only way to do it. This statement rings true when you are attempting to rank a website for low search keywords or long tail keywords. Having high quality and relevant content can be the difference between page one and two. So if you are stuck on page two I would recommend you take some time to go back over your content and see where you can make some improvements. 

Things to look at: 
  • Does it make sense?
  • is it grammatically correct?
  • Keyword stuffed?
  • None or too many internal links. 
  • Not relevant to target keyword. 

Let's Get Social

Lets Get Social - Source: Stocksnap.io

This is one I get a lot of stick for in my office and in all honesty I understand why but I completely disagree with anyone who says socials don't help your site rank. Now when I say socials help with rankings I don't mean go out and build 500+ social profiles on low DA websites what I am actually talking about is social signals. Social signals are one of the most important parts of building a successful brand online, the way I see it is if no one wants to talk about your product then why should Google care about it. 

If you currently don't have any socials setup for your website first off what are you doing and secondly go and make some NOW!. Look to create two or three social platforms that you can focus on building and go from there. Once you have set up these profiles spend some time interacting with them and building up your follower count. Make sure when you are building up these profiles that you are staying on topic and not going on about something completely irrelevant on them. 

I will take my example from earlier if you are doing the SEO on a local cleaning company I would look to create profiles on the following sites: Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. You may be wondering why I picked those particular socials so let me explain: 

Twitter

This is a must for any business in my opinion with over a billion daily users Twitter is the place to be if you want to get your business in front of millions of people. If you are smart with the way you use twitter you can quickly and easily build up a niche relevant twitter with engaging followers.

Facebook

The king of socials Facebook is one of the best social platforms to market on right now. With everyone and their mother on there, you can really get your brand out there. Besides being a great place to share your content Facebook is also great for anyone looking to run a marketing campaign with Facebook Ads being one of the most popular forms of advertising online right now. 

Instagram

This one may seem a little odd to some people but this ties back into my point about thinking about the type of site you are marketing. In my mind when someone is looking for a  cleaning company to clean their house the one thing they are going to be looking for is if they can actually do the job so where best to advertise than on Instagram. Possibly the most popular image sharing website right now Instagram is a great place to show of the work your client can do in a fun and unique way. 

Some socials to use: 

Reclaim lost links

Reclaim Lost Links - Source: Fotolia.com

This one is more relevant to older domains as this is something I will do at about the 6months - 1-year mark. Every link we build or acquire for a client is an important part of any SEO strategy so when we start to lose these links we can drop in rankings especially if it was one from a high DA niche relevant site. 

Sometimes when you lose a link its gone for good but it a number of cases these lost links can be reobtained and can help you regain those lost positions. When I am a working on reclaiming lost links I use AHrefs to see all of the links I have lost if you are not as lucky as me to have access to AHrefs then you can use the free backlink check by SupaGrowth. On a side note SupaGrowth is an outstanding tool and anyone who is looking for a free SEO toolkit this is the one for you. 

Multimedia

Multimedia - Source: Unsplash.com

One thing that I hardly ever see on peoples websites is the use of multimedia on pages and blog posts. This is a proven ranking factor that can be easily replicated yet for some reason people still don't do it. The way I see it is if I come onto a page that is just filled with text that is way less appealing than a site that has images and other forms of multimedia to break it up. 

If you are producing a piece of content take some time out afterwards to add in some multimedia. Whether this is just a few images based on the topic you are talking or a short video it doesn't matter this all helps to improve rankings and user experience. 

Some examples of multimedia:
  • Images
  • Embedded Tweets
  • Youtube videos
  • Infographics
If you are looking to add images to your page but are struggling to find sites to get some free images from then feel free to check out the following sites.
If you have any other sites you like to pull images from then feel free to share them in the comments below. 

Keep it fresh

Keep it Fresh - Source: FreshNSteezy.com

The last tip I would give to anyone is try and keep your site fresh and updated. One thing I see so many people do with their website is once they have put it up and done the initial content they just leave it and focus on the offsite side of things. This is possibly one of the worst things you can do with your site Google's not going to want a site with incorrect and outdated information on the first page so make sure you are updating the actual website. 

In the past when I have give people this advice they have seen significant improvement in their rankings and crawl rate of the site. One of the biggest problems with not updating your site is your crawl rate gets reduced because you are not using it so adding a new blog or something is the perfect fix for this. Keeping your site fresh and regularly updated is the best way to continue your growth within SERP. 

As mentioned earlier I look forward to seeing what you guys think about this. Whether you agree or not I would love to hear your thoughts below. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Places To Find SEO News in 2017

Best Places To Find SEO News in 2017 SEO is an ever-changing field with changes happening to search engines every day you really have to keep on top of it all if you want to have the highest rankings in Google and other search engines. Now if you are new to the industry it can be difficult to find reliable sources for information especially when everything nowadays has been marketed to no extent. To help some of the newbies out there and maybe even some of the veteran marketers I have put together my list of reliable SEO sources.  Tabs SEO Of course, we couldn't produce a list of the most reliable SEO sources without throwing ourselves onto the list. We try to get all of the latest information out to our readers as soon as possible to ensure they have all the latest information about Google's updates and changes. Make sure you sign up to our newsletter to get updates straight to your inbox.  Search Engine Roundtable One of the oldest SEO blogs out there Se

The Only SEO Toolkit You Will Ever Need!

When I originally got into SEO I was incredibly lucky to have joined an agency. Now, this wasn't because of the training I received but more because of the list of tools and links I already have access to. One of the biggest things I realised when I started doing SEO in my free time was I didn't have access to half of the resources I did at work and at first this kind of stunted my strategy but after a bit of work I was able to put together a list of tools that in my opinion are imperative if you want to rank sites quickly and efficiently. Again I will state that this is all my own opinion and if you don't agree or have a better recommendation I would love to hear it. So anyway here goes my list of free tools to help with your SEO campaign. Browser Add-ons Grammarly As you can probably tell i am not one of the best writers, in fact, i am one of the worst at my agency but with the help of Grammarly filling out profiles and writing blogs become no problem. My biggest